Forums | Portfolio Discussions

General Discussion /
PORTFOLIO MASS BALANCE

05 July 2023, 9:13 PM

For the long journey in about 15 weeks study about mass balance,teaching by Dr Zarina binti Ab. Muis I had learn a lot,I gained valuable knowledge about mass balance calculations and how they are used in chemical engineering. This course very hard and we need to study hard and study extra by own, but im so glad because Dr zarina was prepared a lot of quiz,assignments and working session which were helpful in strengthening our understanding of the subject matter. Through my studies, I learned about the importance of mass balance calculations in different chemical processes, and how to perform process flow diagrams correctly.

As a result of my studies, I learned how to perform mass balance calculations, including unit conversion on SI units and English units. I also learned that the basis for the chemical process is crucial for scaling up or down the variables. Additionally, the calculation of mass balance on single or multiple unit processes with different operations - such as recycling, purging, and bypassing - is important in balancing and component balances. To solve reactive and non-reactive processes, I learned that it is crucial to differentiate between them and use different methods for each. For reactive processes, atomic species balance, molecular species balance, and the extent of the reaction method were explored in the calculation process, whereas for non-reactive processes, mass balance calculation is based on component-independent reaction and overall equation. 

During my academic journey, I faced several challenges that tested my understanding, time management skills, and problem-solving capabilities. My first test, which consisted of a single unit with only three questions, quite difficult for me, and I was received low grades. However, from this test, I identified my mistakes, which I have taken note of to improve on in the future. The second test covered mass balance, multiple unit processes, and reactive processes of single-unit equipment. Compared to Test 1, Test 2 was more challenging and difficult, and I could not answer all the questions within the given time frame, which was disappointing. Subsequently, I realized my weaknesses, such as not study on that topic question and finding it hard to interpret data faster. In response, I have identified strategies for improvement, such study and know all the data, allocating time to answer questions correctly, and enhancing my problem-solving techniques to understand and solve complex problems more quickly.My experience of this journey made me more determined and motivated to work harder because I understood the importance of self-improvement and moving forward, regardless of the test results. I faced Test 3 and finals with the same attitude and gave my best effort, hoping to achieve excellent results. However, I understood that even if the results were not satisfactory, it was not the end of the world. Instead, I remained determined to improve myself continually and progress in my academic journey.

The Mass Balance course will be beneficial to me because it provides with the essential knowledge of material and energy flows in the process and chemical industries. It teaches students how to analyze and design process plants, which are crucial skills for a career in engineering. This course also enables engineers to understand the various chemical and physical phenomena that occur in process plants.By the end of the course, we will know how to apply fundamental concepts of mass balance to complex industrial processes and equipment. They will be able to design, operate, and optimize process units and equipment, which is a key aspect of any chemical engineering job. The knowledge gained from Mass Balance extends to other areas like environmental engineering, safety engineering, and energy management, giving engineers a well-rounded background that is relevant in a range of industries.

It's best to consult the lecture of the Mass Balance course to make recommendations on how to improve the class.However, you could ask the professor to incorporate more practical examples in the course that relate to real-world problems engineers face in the industry. By doing so, we will gain hands-on experience in solving complex engineering problems and get familiar with the latest technologies and how they apply in the real world.

Last but not least,Dr Zarina teach us very well and give 100% of her experience teaching this course.

1 result