Forums | Portfolio Discussions

General Discussion /
Learning Portfolio SETK 1123-03 2223-2

30 June 2023, 7:49 PM

First of all, I would like to introduce my goal for this course. My goal is simple, I wish I could get A+ for this course and master the fundamentals.

In this course, SETK 1123 Mass balance, I have engaged in various learning activities and processes that have deepened my understanding of this important subject. I have learnt 7 main topics which are introduction to engineering calculations, process and process variables, fundamentals of material balances, material balances on reactive processes, single phase systems and multi-phase systems.

At the very beginning of this course, I see this course as the killer subject, however, I had the luck of god on my side, I met the most responsible and reliable lecturer which is Ts. Dr. Azizul Azri Bin Mustaffa. Throughout this semester, Dr. Azizul did his best in giving us an awesome lecture and sufficient practice for us to survive in this course.

Talking about assignments, it was particularly beneficial in reinforcing my understanding of mass balance principles and their practical applications. It challenged me to consider different factors that could influence mass balance, such as reactions, inputs, outputs, and accumulation. Dr. Azizul always gave us individual assignments after every topic and I personally think it is a plus point as it required me to apply theoretical knowledge to real-world scenarios, enhancing my ability to think critically and analyze complex systems.

As preparation for test 1, I have done all the exercises and past year questions I could find on earth. I did a good revision on the first test and I still did not get a good result. On the third question, I made a big mistake which messed up the concept. I blindly follow the textbook knowledge without thinking wisely. Sitting in the hall and I was self-satisfied about getting correct answers. Thus, when the test 1 result was out, i was shocked that i did not get full marks and it turned out to affect my self-esteem greatly. I started to judge and look down on myself: Why would I make such a mistake? Am I not good enough? I experienced a short term depression and I was able to pick up the pieces and carry on my life. I believe practice makes perfect and I decided to put more effort into this course.

As preparation for test 2, I work even harder than before, I plan my study and am well prepared. I have faith in myself that I will do better than test 1. However, when test 2 results came out, I only got 52 marks out of 60 marks. Then I only realised that i made a silly mistake in question 2, which is i miscopy when i substituting value. Cheer up! I said. At least I got my concept right and I indeed understand the topic assessed in test 2 (covering multiple units with and without recycle/bypass and single/multiple reaction). And my marks are one mark higher than my test 1.

Talking about quizzes, it served as effective checkpoints to assess my understanding of the material covered. They provided an opportunity to consolidate my learning and identify any areas that required further attention. Honestly, I was doing good at the beginning but failed some quizzes on the last two topics (single phase system and multi-phase system). By that, I understand I have to work harder in the last two topics or else I would fail my test 3 and final. So far, I have learnt 5 main topics which are introduction to engineering calculations, process and process variables, fundamentals of material balances and material balances on reactive processes. Next 2 main topics are single phase systems and multi-phase systems. For me, these two are the killer topics. I failed almost all of my quizzes on these two topics. I realised if I did not nail these two topics, i would definitely face the music in test 3 and final. I start doing the assignments more seriously and even try to solve questions using different methods. For example, I used the PVT equation and conversion from standard conditions (STP) to solve the ideal gas question. By this, I understand the concept even better. Not only that, I also discuss difficult questions with my coursemates as this will clarify my confusion.

During test 3, I admit that I was dumbfounded at first as I flipped the question paper. The first question is long and even came with a diagram. I skipped that and started with question 2. After a deep breath, I calmed myself down and I managed to finish all the 3 questions in time! I was proud of myself. I successfully overcome the exam phobia even though the test 3 result is not released yet.

Now let us go to the mini project. The mini project was a highlight of the Mass Balance course, as it provided an opportunity to apply the knowledge and skills acquired throughout the semester to a practical problem. The project involved designing and implementing a mass balance analysis for a real-world scenario. This required careful consideration of various inputs, outputs, and accumulation processes, as well as the selection of appropriate equations and calculations. I would say that the project is not as difficult as it seems but it is complicated. Drawing PDF is exhausting as I need to confirm the unknown and conditions on every stream with the table given. Next is the calculation, my group chose to use Excel directly to do the calculation instead of doing manually. We experienced some difficulty as we are in doubt about where to label the amount of product, however, after clarifying with the questioner, we then solved the problem smoothly.

The obvious knowledge and skills that I have learnt in this semester are the five course learning outcomes which are able to solve mass balance problems for single and multiple process units, able to analyse mass balance problems involving single and multiple phase systems, able to develop process flow diagram (PDF) with mass balance calculations of chemical processes, choose to conduct complex problem solving solution of mass balance problem using principle of conservation and commit in preparation of learning experience using e-Portfolio.

Next, the non-obvious skills that I have learnt in this semester are time management to finish all assignments in time, and a positive attitude in studying and working. Thanks to Dr. Azizul, aside from giving us amazing lectures, he also teaches us the correct and positive attitude in pursuing our study and working in the future. He teaches us to be punctual, paying 100% attention in classes, drawing PDF by using a ruler and showing our working steps neatly. I believe I will practice these habits from now and onwards. These skills really help me a lot in managing this course and achieving my goals. Plus, through this mini project, I have access to communication skills with teammates and task dividing. As the saying goes, multiple hands get the job done faster. I was lucky enough to have such amazing teammates helping each other to complete our project successfully. It was a big success in presentation as well.

Throughout this course, I gained a lot. I can confidently say that it has been a rewarding journey that has expanded my knowledge and skills in the field.

1 result