Forums | Portfolio Discussions

General Discussion /
Reflection Journal on Plan Design 2 Project

09 July 2020, 1:33 PM

Look back into the reality, that I am the one of student in this high demand course is one of unbelievable moment in my life. During my secondary school, I am the one who always been called up by my chemistry teachers due to my bad performances in this subject. While I was younger, I would dream of becoming a pilot, and at that time I thought the pilots were the ones that could drive others into the high sky all over this peaceful world, even though I know the fact that I can't be there. I hate chemistry so much, but life has taken me here. I 'm planning, but God is planning, too, and He's the best planner. As the one who was really excited to be part of this high-demand course, I also thought that I would make as much effort as I could to finish this four-year journey well.

Time flies, and now I am the final year student of Bachelor Chemical Engineering who can count the days to be alumni of this great university if I have passed all 20 credits that I have registered this semester. Surely, I'm more like a bad apple spoils the whole lot compared to all my classmates who are really dedicated and outstanding at the end of any assignment they 're assigned to. But, God is a great planner, I was assigned to be in group with not only a brilliant student, but a very high interpersonal skill likes Tok Wei Xin, Izzati and also Jia Min who always supports me to go through this biggest project in this Chemical Engineering program which is Plant Design 2.

As far as I am concerned, the basic fundamental management of this project has already been exposed since the first semester of this program through Zero Waste Competition, which every assigned team must carry out from the concept of higher-level thinking skills in order to produce the best product and output, even though we have not already been officially thought of seeking information through the journal papers and research in orderly manner. All groups seem to do their utmost to come up with a new approach and find the right solution, and they also encourage others not only to manage all the waste we generate, but also to be innovative in looking at the waste as well as the wealthy. But the champions of that competition have made me wonder, until now, what aspect they've been looking for to win the competition over the others who have a better engineering application concept and a more reliable product for the investor, when I see that it's just the art of arranging the spoon that makes it look great for a pair of eyes. Surely, that kind of critical and creative thinking skill that has been introduced throughout that course is always meeting their needs in plant design 2 project by discussing, brainstorming of ideas and information in order to have a great decision.

As I am going through this project, which needs a good understanding of basic knowledge as a student of chemical engineering, such as mass balance, energy balance, separation process, transport process, process control, engineering mathematics and also organic chemistry, which has been thought through out  these programs, it seems difficult for me to get back to all the theory. But I know that in every group assigned, there are different levels of students who have different levels of mastery in all that basic knowledge, in order to help each of the member groups fulfill every task assigned to them. This is where the concept of teamwork and a stronger bond has been developed if all the members of the group understand what is actually the reason why they are assigned to be together. At this moment not only pointer things are meant, but the high level of interpersonal skills will develop as we work together with different backgrounds of students struggling with different kinds of problems in their real life because for me if we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, then all possibility of life is destroyed.

Interim is one of the highest levels of event that can actually let me experienced the communication and presentation skill. What I've seen over the course of three months of industrial training at one of the water treatment plant in Johor, the role of engineer is mostly on how we manage, how we present the documentation data, and how we decide on some solution to the problem by communicating to various types of staff. Therefore, good communication skills are those that I need to develop in order to allow others to really understand what I really want to convey in good words for better understanding, because quality is often more than quantity.

Last but not least, I dedicate this writing to all my friends, lecturers, all those involved in my part of the journey through this life of study and most important to me myself. There are a lot of things I've learned from this course and this study life as well. “Life isn’t an emergency”. We 're taking our own goals seriously, that we forget to have fun along the way and we're forgetting to cut some slack on ourselves. We are taking simple preferences and making them the conditions for our own happiness because money can’t buy happiness even it’s cheap!

Therefore, I need a good self-reflection, or a 'me-time' in a cliché, because it improves me so much and automatically improves my relationship with others. Brains play their most important part here, and critical thinking does this job so well when the heart beats smoothly to develop our mind to face our journey of life. Have a good time everyone! May God bless us with all the happiness in life in order to spread all kinds all peace and love throughout this amazing world because I guess happiness is only real when shared.

Honestly,

Rafi

1 result