Forums | Portfolio Discussions

General Discussion /
Reflection-Team_6-Noor_Athirah_binti_Moktar

01 July 2020, 11:07 AM

Reflection

Almost 16-weeks conducting plant design project on pentaerythritol production. I was teamed with three of my course mates. We have been through struggles to complete the plant design project especially during this Corona virus pandemic. However, these boundaries have not affected our team work yet we successfully finished it at well. Throughout the project was conducted, tons of lesson learned and personal growth was improved.

Among 16-weeks completing the project, three of them were used to guide students to performing the project by having seminars and talks. Process control design and safety HAZOP. The seminars helped us to perform and design process control design on our equipment in the designation plant. Not only that, it helped us to identify the possibilities of danger to happen on the equipment. These really helpful for us since safety and HAZOP are two unfamiliar components in our course learning. Moreover, the speaker also not only focused on the main topic of seminar but they also shared their experiences while working in industries and their teaching and studies. All of these enhanced the effectiveness of the delivery of the content. The learning issues arose were we able to understand the course very well with aid from experienced lecturer. It really brought good impact in student knowledge and skills. May seminars like these can be continued for the next project plan design designers.

Not only seminars, presentation talk and presentation session also being held throughout the project was conducted. The presentation talk focused on giving guidance and tips to students on how to deliver presentation effectively and the presentation sessions were for students to present their project to the respective panels. These activities really help me to deliver the presentation very well with the guidance from Dr Lim, speaker for presentation preparation. Besides, the presentation sessions were conducted two times really improved my presentation skills and confidence to deliver speech. All these activities really boost up my personal growth and self-esteem. Hopefully, these exercises remain as it is as it really brings positive impact not only in me as a student but also for the speakers.

Besides, the most crucial part in completing the project is the team work among my teammates and I. Along 16-weeks we have been through hustle and bustle just to make sure the project documentation and presentation meets with the project requirements set by the coordinators. It was undeniable that we sometimes get misunderstood of each other due to lack of communication. Especially when it comes to report compiling. However, my teammates and I managed to forget the misunderstanding and continued with our works. As I reflected all the situations happened during the project, I realized that fights and misunderstanding within the team is common and normal. What important is that how we deal and manage with the situation. Learning issue I gained is that professionalism is important than emotional when dealing with working environment. Thus, I learnt that it is okay to feel unsatisfied and not okay, but learnt to remain calm and not being emotional with workmates as work must go on.

Apart of the project, there are lot of activities and projects I have conducted in UTM. Four years studying in degree with ups and down surrounding, met up various people with various nature and mental struggle, be it with human relations and mental health. A lot of things I have gained in UTM and most of them taught me to become more tolerant, less judgemental and open-minded.

Soft-skills is most important quality to survive in the real working industry. In university, they kept organising event for students to help them improve and enhance their soft-skills especially in communication skills. A lot of programmes were held for us to interacting with people and open more doors for us to communicate with people. As for example conducting my final year project (FYP) has gave me an opportunity to meet new people. I interacted a lot with my final year project mates, my supervisor, my seniors and some several unknown people I managed to know all of them. I felt grateful to met all of them. They helped me to gained confidence to meet random people without having the fear of being judged. Not only that, my supervisor kindness is really warming and soften my heart to continue the thesis even though I am not feeling it. After all, FYP really brought positive impact to my inner confidence and my communication skills.

Besides, degree also not entertaining when friends are not there to cheer us up and to colour our degree life. However, friendship also has ups and down. Sometimes we fought, misunderstanding, felt unease and annoyed to each other. Not only that, we also shared good moments with them, gossiping and having night talk till 3am. Good and bad memories created. All relationships are common to have ups and down. What is most important how we deal with it. Either we want to proceed the relationship going on or to end it. It all depends on our choice what kind of persons we allow to sit in our life. Initially I used to have a thought that true friendship is having someone or friends that always be there for me, lend their help for me, shares everything with me and does not compete with me at anything, they will support me at all cost. However, slowly I realized friends have time too, they have friends to cheer up too, they also have goals to achieve, they also need ears to listen to their sadness, they also need support. After all, friendship in degree taught me that any relationship needs mutual effort and mutual feeling to allow the relationship to work. If we have nothing to offer, none will come to us. But if people who come to us without any thing we can offer, that is a sincere feeling, be it in friendship and relationship. Learning issue is be friends with everyone and be good to everyone because everyone is struggling too. Friends are the ones who make me stronger to continue my degree after Allah SWT and my parents.

Besides, since along I studied in degree and struggles with self-emotion and mentally, I am introduced to mental awareness and anxiety. Some of my degree life experiences are quite painful and unbearable, it hurt my pride and emotions and mental. All these failures have made me fear to try something unfamiliar to me. Made me become more reserved than I used to. Made me want to stay away from people I love. I feared to hurt them again. At last, I left them and be with a friend who always cheer me up even though her personality traits are unlikeable but for the sake of saving my mental health, I would rather leave them. Thank to Him, I slowly regained my strength and self-esteem. However, I realized all those struggles and heartbroken are not because of people, it is because of my expectation and high goals. I realized strength and confidence and our sadness are all under our responsibilities. Nothing to do with people.

Lastly, I felt grateful to have a four years degree experiences. Met up with many people whom taught me a lot about life. They taught me many good values in life. All lecturers who taught me knowledge and self-awareness, thank you so much. All struggles I accepted with an open heart and always I am willingly to learn and improve myself in working environment too.

1 result